Quorn & Woodhouse Station Yard
Great Central Railway & Leicester Transport Heritage Trust
Bus & Rail Spectacular
Saturday 27th April 2019
10:00 am – 5 pm
Display of Buses & Coaches at Quorn Station yard
Heritage Bus services in local area and connecting to Loughborough GCR & Midland (mainline) Stations
Transport Sales stalls at Quorn Station yard
Great Central Rail Services in operation
Some of the Buses & Coaches expected to be on display or in service at Quorn & Woodhouse Bus & Rail Spectacular 2019
KLB 596, 1950 AEC RT, Browns Blue
FRP 692 1950 Bristol KS5G, ex United Counties
MTL 750 1958 Leyland Tiger Cub, Delaine
618 KRA, 1959 Bedford SB1 ex Felix
RCT 3, 1960 Leyland PD3/1, Delaine
LDB 796, 1960 Leyland Tiger Cub. North Western
ABO 145B, 1964 AEC Reliance, Western Welsh
DNU 20C, 1965 Bristol MW, ex Midland General
FJF 40D, 1966 AEC Renown, Leicester City Transport
JVV 267G, 1968 Daimler CV6G , Northampton Transport
RHA 919G, 1968 BMMO S23 ex Midland Red
PVT 207L, 1972 Bristol RE, PMT
YCH 890M, 1974 Bristol RELH6L,Trent
Want to bring along a Bus or Coach to this event?. Click on the link below for entry form
Enjoy the delights of Quorn & Woodhouse Station
THE STATION TODAY
Because of the association with the Second World War, the station has been restored, with some licence, to a 1940s theme and is currently being repainted into the LNER brown and stone colour scheme which it would have carried at that time.
The General and Ladies Waiting Rooms are in one building, complete with coal fires (in season) and period advertising. In the General Waiting Room we show films appropriate to the station’s era. There is a disabled-friendly lavatory in the Ladies Waiting Room, together with a baby-changing table.
A second building houses the Booking Office with typical office furnature and with a genuine ticket rack dispensing proper Edmondson (cardboard) tickets. Our stationmaster is now based here, but under the stairs they have re-created a period Stationmaster’s Office: notice the well-thumbed reference books and wartime accoutrements.
Attached to this room, under the road bridge, is the Air Raid Shelter which is where the village Home Guard met during the Second World War. Today you can purchase drinks and snacks in our NAAFI-style Refreshment Room which is open at weekends.
On the platforms you will notice a selection of barrows and trolleys with a collection of luggage and goods in transit and a perambulator complete with baby and gas-mask.
Adding to the wartime theme, notice that they are doing our bit for the war, with the Dig for Victory vegetable garden on the embankment across from Platform No.2 and the old pram collecting scrap metal for the war effort.
Look out for the early LNER colour-light signal next to the bridge at the end of Platform No.1. Next to it, there is a red telephone box (of the K6 type first introduced in 1935) currently under restoration.
The Gentlemen’s Lavatory is in a separate building at the south end of the platform and originally was open to the elements, with no roof.
Just off the platform area, is the working signalbox, originally from Market Rasen in Lincolnshire and there is the apparatus used to transfer mailbags to or from moving trains. Try to be here on special events when this is demonstrated – it’s an experience not to be missed!
Also in the station yard are the former Goods Shed and Weighbridge Office, a re-built Anderson shelter and the Butler-Henderson Café, open daily for hot and cold food. The original stationmaster’s house at the entrance to the station is in private ownership.
Today, the station yard is used for special events, including Wartime Weekend, Bonfire Night, Railwayana Swapmeets, traction engine and children’s events. Access from vehicle the display yardto station platform is via a foot crossing over the railway line and a ramp onto the platform. In the yard you can also find the turntable.